CIF Releases Guidelines for School Sports in the Age of COVID
One of the biggest blows to morale wrought by this pandemic has been the disappearance of sports. Schools are no exception. Coaches, parents, and students around the state have been clamoring for answers about when kids can get back on the fields and courts — and what exactly that will look like.
They got closer to some of those answers last week. The California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) released a set of guidelines that school districts should adhere to in order to bring athletics back safely.
You can read the guidance here. Among its recommendations are:
- Routine sanitization of facilities and equipment
- When possible, moving activities outdoors
- Consider upgrading facilities’ air filters
- Daily wellness checks, including temperature screening, for coaches and staff
- Designating one-way entrance and exits in buildings
- Limiting practices to 10 people
- Having coaches wear masks when they cannot keep six feet of distance
- Limiting nonessential visitors/spectators
- Staggering or closing lockers and showers