Under general supervision from assigned supervisory and managerial staff, performs a variety of administrative and office support duties of considerable complexity requiring thorough knowledge of the department, its procedures and operational details; assists communications department staff with proofreading and editing of communications and publications; provides administrative support to management and departmental staff; composes and prepares correspondence using considerable judgment in content and style; performs skilled word processing, data entry, and typing; provides information to the public and staff; provides assistance for a wide variety of assignments related to administration of budgets, contracts, research projects, and department programs; and performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs a variety of administrative, analytical, and customer support activities for a specific program or service administered by the Association to member agencies or the public.
- Proofreads and edits Association’s communications as requested.
- Organizes and implements administrative assignments and special projects related to assigned area of responsibility; maintains accurate and detailed department-specific records, schedules, reports, files, plans, databases, and other operational and/or confidential information; verifies accuracy of information; researched discrepancies and records information.
- Researches, compiles, organizes, and analyzes information and data for special projects and various reports, publications, and newsletters; prepares, reviews, and processes specialized analytical and technical reports, contracts, policies, and procedures relating to a core function of departmental operations; designs and implements forms; prepares written materials to explain Association programs and procedures.
- Addresses concerns, inquiries, or complaints from member agencies or the general public in a professional manner; researches information; identifies and reports findings and takes appropriate action to ensure an expedient and satisfactory resolution.
- Provides administrative support to department activities; composes, types, edits, and proofreads a variety of documents; assists in developing agendas; attends meetings; takes, transcribes, and distributes meeting minutes; follows-up with members on after-action items; prepares programs and brochures; formats PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Receives, investigates, and responds to difficult and sensitive problems and inquiries.
- Develops, verifies and reviews forms, contracts, and reports for completeness and conformance with established regulations and procedures; interprets, explains, and applies departmental and program policies and procedures in determining completeness of applications, records, and files.
- Assists with researching, formatting, and customizing content for program-specific correspondence, forms, reports, presentations, marketing collateral, and manuals.
- Based on assignment, may assist with logistical coordination and implementation of program(s), including delivery of customized training for customers and Association staff; organizes and maintains various administrative, confidential, reference, imaging, and follow-up files to support program(s).
- Administer association’s registration for various events.
- Operates a variety of standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, copiers, facsimile machines, multi-line telephones, and; may operative other department-specific equipment.
- May be assigned administrative support duties across multiple departments.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Reads and demonstrates an understanding and adherence to CSBA values, policies, and practices.
- Demonstrates respect, honesty and professionalism at all times.
- Adheres to an established work schedule and the organization’s timekeeping practices.
- Organization and function of non-profit organizations, boards, and commissions; the mission and values of the CSBA.
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility.
- Modern office administrative and secretarial practices and procedures, including the use of standard office equipment.
- Principles and practices of business letter writing, report formatting and preparation, data collection, information management, record keeping principles and procedures, and business mathematics and statistical techniques.
- Modern office management practices and methods, including use of standard office equipment, computer equipment and applications, including word processing, spreadsheet applications, report writing and business correspondence/writing.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation at a highly proficient level.
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Association staff.
- Understand the organization and operation of the Association and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities.
- Perform responsible application of specialized program-related knowledge to support organizational unit with accuracy, speed, and general supervision; interpret, apply, and explain administrative and departmental policies and procedures; provide customer service for program-related inquiries and related requests.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot event set up and registration issues.
- Effectively use English to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
- Proficiently proofread and edit association communications.
- Compose correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions; provide research, analysis, and summarize findings; make accurate mathematical, financial, and statistical computations; enter and retrieve data from a computer with sufficient speed and accuracy to perform assigned work.
- Apply knowledge and demonstrate critical thinking skills, lead and coordinate various projects involving participation of other departments; organize and prioritize a variety of projects and multiple tasks in an effective and timely manner; organize own work, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to an associate degree or higher with major coursework in business administration, management, finance, accounting, or related field with three (3) years of progressive, responsible administrative experience, preferably in education, legislative, or other non-profit settings. Experience providing administrative support to management, coordinating meetings, and planning special programs or events is desirable.
ENVIRONMENTAL ELEMENTS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Employee works in a primarily sedentary office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances.
- Employee is personally responsible for following health and safety guidelines, instructions, and policies.
- Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person, and over the telephone; must be able to bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push and pull drawers open and closed in the execution of duties.
- Must be able to sit at computer for long periods of time and have the dexterity to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator, and operate standard office equipment.
- Employee must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds, hand truck available to assist.
- May work occasional overtime, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays for activities that are required to be done after-hours.
- Limited vacation during peak periods.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Possession of, or ability to, obtain a valid California Driver’s license by time of appointment.