Police and Fire Respond to Possible Overdoses of 10 Students at LA Middle School. Was Cannabis to Blame?

Firefighters and police responded to a possible drug overdose affecting multiple students at Van Nuys Middle School in the San Fernando Valley Thursday. A total of 10 students were evaluated by emergency personnel and 7 were taken to nearby hospitals. The students were all between ages 12 and 15.

The response from the LA Fire Department and LA Police Department personnel was enormous and included both air and ground support. After arriving on scene, LAFD was able to calm the public’s fears by confirming the incident was not fentanyl-related. This was the immediate fear among parents and the surrounding community. A 15-year-old girl who had ingested fentanyl recently passed away at LA's Bernstein High School.

LAFD Capt. Erik Scott has said the middle schoolers may have ingested cannabis edibles, but that has not been confirmed.

Cannabis edibles are much slower-acting and it is difficult to gauge how much THC one has ingested. It is not uncommon for inexperienced users to consume too much of the product. This can lead to unpleasant feelings such as anxiety, rapid heart rate or poor cognition. In extreme cases, it can result in low blood pressure, nausea or vomiting, paranoia and even hallucinations. These symptoms will usually dissipate with time. Serious complications from overdoses are extremely rare.

The incident is under investigation by Los Angeles School Police. All of the students who were hospitalized have been released and are in stable condition.